Thursday, September 8, 2011

Zac's New Project

Yesterday, I came home from work and was told that I wasn't allowed in the garage. Zac said that he was working on a new project and he didn't want me to see it until it was all done. I'm a big fan of surprises, so I avoided the garage and resisted the urge to run in and see what was going on any time I heard hammering and sanding noises. The surprises that come from the garage are always wonderful. The first time I was banned from the garage Zac proposed, and the second time Zac's parents got my car fixed for me as a graduation present. I figured this time around the surprise had something to do with our Project Wonderland plans for the backyard so I was excited to see what was going on behind the garage doors.

This morning, Zac decided to show me his progress before the project was complete. Normally I don't get to see his projects (like the outdoor light fixtures above our backyard patio) until they are completely finished, so I was a little thrown off when he let me into the garage to see his work. It turns out that he was unsure of how the project was going and wanted my opinion on the matter.

So what was Zac working on?.....

A new planter for the backyard.

Here is his progress so far.....


Zac was a little unsure of the color he chose for the finish of the planter. He brought me in to see if he should start over and lighten up the color a little bit before he got any further on the project. I love the color that he chose for the planter. I think the darker color will be a nice touch to our backyard.


The planter will be about 27inches tall which will fit just perfectly under our dining room window. We really like the idea of looking out the window while we eat at the table and enjoying the sight of pretty flowers. Rather than keeping the boards even and symmetrical, Zac started cutting them to be different lengths to create a pattern. The project is still in the beginning stages but the pattern has already begun to make the planter look a little more interesting than a predictable symmetrical piece.


My favorite part about the project is that Zac built the planter on wheels. If we decide later to move the planter to another part of the yard we can simply roll it to it's new location. The wheels will also make it easier to roll the planter to a more shady/sunny spot depending on the needs of the flowers. This should allow us to choose from a larger variety of flowers since we will be able to accomodate their needs.


I can't wait to see the final product! I'll post more details as the project continues. Zac has already mentioned plans for more planters after this project is complete. :)


No comments: