Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bridesmaid Dresses Part 2


As you might remember from this post, the bridesmaid dress situation was still being considered and I decided that it was best to wait until all of the girls were in the same place to choose the dresses that they would wear. This would give us a chance to see what dresses they liked, what dresses would look good together and next to my dress, and what colors were the best choices. The color decision (which you can read about here) was between a variety of yellows and a dark gray. I had some reservations about asking all of my blonde-y bridesmaids to dress in yellow. I was positive that it was not a color that frequented their wardrobe, but it was still worth trying out.

After looking through color swatches at David's Bridal, I found two shades of yellow (Canary and Sunbeam) and one dark gray color (Pewter):


Canary, Pewter, and Sunbeam



As you can see from the picture above, Canary is a much softer yellow while the Sunbeam color is a more vibrant shade. I decided to check out what the yellow colors looked like on a whole dress rather than just a small 2x3 color swatch.

Sunbeam


Canary


Pewter



The Sunbeam color was just a little bit bright for me. In person it definitely gets your attention, but I'm not sure it does in the best way. I could only imagine the look that Amanda would give me if I told her that I wanted her to wear this bright yellow dress! Although the color might make it's appearance in our decorations, there was no question that Sunbeam was out of the running when it came to the dresses. Instead, we would be looking for dresses in either Canary or Pewter.


So, two weeks ago when the girls and I went shopping for my wedding dress, we also chose their bridesmaid dresses. Since all of my bridesmaids were in the same place (something that might be difficult to accomplish later without some travel planning) it was the perfect time to take care of their dresses, too. While I was in the dressing room working my way into each dresss (the dress with the corset back took a while to tie up) Sarah, Amy, and Amanda walked through the bridesmaid dress section and picked some dresses to try on.

After I chose my dress the girls started trying on some dresses of their own. Before I changed back into my regular clothes, we thought that it would be a good idea to check the possible colors (Canary and Pewter) together to see how it looked. So the girl's all tried on a yellow dress and stood with me for a photo. *There will be no pictures of my dress until the big day so for now I'm a pixelated blob.*


Don't mistake those smiles for happiness....we were laughing at this image. The girls looked like baby chicks next to me. The all yellow dresses had an Easter-y look that just wasn't the look we were going for. It was clear that Pewter  was the way to go. The look of relief on Amanda's face was comical. It made me wish (just a little) that I had strung her along for a little while longer and made her believe that I loved the yellow color. :) Also, seeing all the girls next to each other in the same dress really confirmed for me that I wanted them to each wear a different dress. They each have their own personality and character and seeing them all in the same dress just didn't seem right. So with those two decisions made, the girls continued on with the dress search. In the end, these were the dresses they chose:
Sarah's Dress


Amanda's Dress


Amy's Dress




We were excited to have found the dresses however we had neglected to refer to the David's Bridal color chart during our search. Though David's Bridal offers 42 different shades, not all of their dresses are available in every shade. Some of the dresses are only available in 20 shades. Unfortunately, Sarah's dress was not available in Pewter.

This seemed like a bummer situation. It was such a pretty dress and it looked so great with the other dresses, so it would have been a shame if Sarah couldn't wear it. We looked through the racks of dresses to find another one for her to wear. While we did find some that were nice, they weren't the same fabric as the dresses that Amanda and Amy had chosen and consequently they didn't look as nice together. Double checking the dress color chart, we saw that the original dress that Sarah chose was available in Canary. Sarah said that she had no problem with wearing a yellow dress. Having one yellow dress next to two gray dresses eliminated that Easter-y look that we saw when the girls were all wearing a yellow dress.

So in the end we decided that Sarah would wear a dress in Canary while Amanda and Amy would be dressed in Pewter. Not only would both of the wedding colors be represented now but Sarah would also stand out a little which is fitting as she is Maid of Honor. It was a successful shopping day! I'm so glad that my girls were able to find dresses that they liked and I can't wait to have them by my side on the big day. :)

No comments: