Friday, September 16, 2011

The Great Shoe Detective

Now that I have my wedding dress has come in (and is hanging in my closet!), and the girls' bridesmaid dresses are all picked out, it's time to move on to accessories. More specifically, it's time to find some shoes! I'm fine with leaving jewelry until a little closer to the wedding if necessary. (I have no doubts that I'll find the perfect accessories for the girls to wear with their dresses with plenty of time to spare before the big day.)

For my own shoes, I've known since we chose our wedding colors, that I wanted to wear yellow heels. I was hoping for something with a fun detail like a bow, flower, or maybe a ruffle. Over the last few months I've been looking online at several different shoe websites, checking out pictures on Pinterest, and browsing through other yellow wedding photographs to get ideas. I think that I have finally found the shoes that I want to wear on our wedding day.

I found these shoes on Ninashoes.com. Aren't they cute?!
All the other yellow heels I found were either too mustard colored, too high (not that I'm afraid of a little height, I just don't want to kill my feet that day), or didn't have a cute detail I was looking for. These shoes look to be just the right shade of yellow and at 4" I don't think my feet will want to kill me by the end of the night. I haven't ordered the shoes just yet, but according to the website they are only available for pre-order at the moment so I've got some time to get my order in. (The soonest they'll be shipped out is 11/11/11.)

I've had more concerns with the bridesmaid shoes than I have my own. Shoes can really make an outfit and I don't want to stick my girls with anything they don't like or won't be happy to wear again. Also, since the girls are wearing different dresses, and there are two different colors to consider (canary and pewter), the process of finding shoes has become a little more tricky. There have been a few things to consider:

1. What color should the shoes be? Yellow? Gray? Should Sarah have yellow shoes to go with her canary dress? Should Amanda and Amy wear gray shoes to go with their pewter dresses? Should we flip flop and have gray dresses with yellow shoes and the yellow dress with gray shoes to avoid being too matchy matchy? What about a black or nude colored heel?

2. Since the girls are all wearing different dresses, should they also have different shoes?

Honestly I'm not really picky and I didn't think that it mattered if the girls had the same shoes. (After all, they have different dresses.) I would love for my bridesmaids to show off some personality and get shoes that they like. None of them would ever wear the same shoes on the same night when we were going out so it seems kind of funny to have them wear the same shoes as one another when they have over 120 people looking at them. As for color I think finding different shoes in gray will keep things looking interesting but not distracting.

I'm hoping to end up with a look something like this.....

Image from Style Me Pretty

...or this...


...where all the girls have some unity in color but aren't so cookie cutter.

Finding different shoes for the girls also makes the search a little easier since the girls don't all wear the same shoe size. Since the girls' shoe sizes range significantly, finding shoes that were available in all sizes limited the search. Eliminating the need to find the shoes in three different sizes has opened up our search to a much wider selection.

The two things we'll have to look out for in searching for different shoes will be unity and cost.

1. Unity- There are so many different shades of grey, finding three different shoes with similar tones of the color might be a challenge. Though we're not looking for identical colored shoes and don't need (nor want) the shoes to match perfectly with the girls' pewter dresses, we don't want the shoes to clash next to each other either.

2. Cost- Some of the shoes I found at the beginning of my search were very cute....but were upwards of $100. Since the girls have each already spent over $100 on their dresses I'm not about to suggest they buy shoes that rival in price. The less expensive, the better!

So the search is on....

Thankfully I have The Great Shoe Detective on my side!!!

Meet my bridesmaid Amanda:


Amanda has an incredible sense of style and (more importantly) a shoe obsession that shouldn't be joked about. (Look out Carrie Bradshaw!) I once sent her a photo of shoes that I thought she would like...

Exhibit A:


Amanda fell in love with the shoe! Unfortunately, I found the picture on Pinterest and there were no details tagged regarding the designer, stores where the shoe was available, or price listing. Have no fear, The Great Shoe Detective was on the case. Amanda googled the picture of the shoe until she could track down stores that sold the item. When she found out that stores were sold old she skipped the middle man and went straight to the distributor. It took a few months, but wouldn't you know it.....Miss Amanda is now the happy owner of these shoes!


I am so grateful to have Miss Amanda's help in finding the right shoes for the girls to wear at the wedding. I've started a conversation on Facebook with the bridesmaids and for the past two months or so we've been sending each other links and pictures in the hopes of finding the perfect shoes to go with the girls' bridesmaid dresses. Here are some of our finds:


So sad that these shoes are sold out in this color and nowhere to be found!


Really cute but at $99.95 they aren't an option.




The grey was probably a good shade to go with the dresses but the closed toe didn't seem fun for a May wedding.



Our absolute FAVORITE shoe. Unfortunately, it only comes in a size 9....which none of the girls are.




Our newest faves! I think the other shoes will all be coordinated to this one.


Our search continues on for three fantasic pairs of grey shoes for the girls to wear. Wish us luck!!!

No comments: