Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Proposal


Zac and I moved from our apartment into our first house in November, 2009. We spent the following year working on making the house our home. With many changes to be made, the garage was at the VERY END of our list of priorities.

Shortly after New Years 2011, Zac made a good point that, since we always parked in the garage, the garage door was our entrance into the house and should be as nice as the front door. He immediately made plans to clean out the garage and make the area a welcoming space. He informed me that he wanted the end result to be a surprise so he would be working on the project himself, and the garage was off limits for me eyes. As my talents are more decorative than handy-girl, I had no objections.

January 14, 2011
After about two weeks of hammering, banging, sanding and other sounds coming from the garage Zac announced that he was done. Believing that they were heading to the train station that evening to pick up Zac's dad, I spent the day cleaning the house and then took a much needed shower. Meanwhile, Zac frequently slipped into the garage throughout the day, acting somewhat suspicious.

As I was getting into the shower, Zac told me that he was leaving to clean out his car. Little did I know that he was actually on his way to pick up the last detail for the surprise reveal of the garage. A banner that read "Marry Me!"

When he got home he asked me if I was ready to see the garage. I was excited to see the changes he made. Wearing a bathrobe and slippers, hair still wet from the shower, I went downstairs and followed Zac's instructions to close my eyes. He led me into the garage and when he told me to open my eyes, he was kneeling on one in knee in front of me, holding an open ring box. Behind him was a table with candles, a bottle of champagne on ice, dozens of tulips (my favorite flower), balloons, and his banner creation.



It was here that Zac asked me, "Can I be your husband?"



After catching my breath,we celebrated our engagement by opening the bottle of champagne and toasting to our future. As it was getting close to dinner time we set up one of our dining tables in the garage, got take-out from P.F. Changs and had a candle lit dinner in the spot where Zac proposed.



It was a perfect evening.

1 comment:

Liesl said...

How beautiful...love it and the thought and time that went into it! Your ring is just beautiful too...lovely! Congratulations again!!!

Liesl :)