Monday, June 13, 2011

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

Last week while shopping around for a new bed for Jim, I stumbled upon this beautiful mirror at Marshall's.



For only $19.99 (down from $40.00) it seemed like a great deal for such a pretty mirror and I knew exactly where it would go. Recently Zac and I have been talking about putting a mirror on the wall behind the front door that faces the staircase. The wall is completely bare and it has needed a little something to give the space some character and say "people live here".


At first we were looking at something like this:


The hooks would add a bit of functionality to the mirror, giving us someplace to hang our keys. We realized however that since we come in through the garage door and not the front door (a fact that inspired Zac during his plans to propose to me back in January) having hooks by the front door wouldn't make much sense. In addition, Zac built a spot for our guests to hang their coats when they walk in so the hooks on the mirror probably wouldn't be used anyways. So in the end we decided that functionality could take a backseat to something that looked interesting and unique. The mirror from Marshall's seemed to fit the bill.


Zac and I both think that the mirror's style and size fit well in the space. The size of the mirror isn't too big that it dominates the space yet it's not too small that it get's lost on the wall. As for the color, I really like the way that the black finish pops against our choice of paint color. I have a tendency to paint everything white. I just love the crispness of white against other colors. As a result, while working on our house we have added a lot of white elements including painting all cabinets white, adding white trim to the bathroom mirrors, and building a white desk for our office. So, when I came home with this intricate black frame, Zac immediately assumed that I was going to whip out a can of white spray paint and go to town turning it into a white glossy ornament to adorn our wall. After putting it up against the wall I surprised us both by saying that I liked the mirror just as it was and that the black really made a statement against the paint. I think Zac was more excited about this news than he let on. The few black elements we have in our living room (the trim around the fireplace and the coffee and console tables) are his favorite pieces. I think perhaps the strong look of the black pieces gives a little masculinity to the room that I have made light and dainty with all the white. In any case, I see a few more black pieces being added to our space in the future.


This summer I hope to dedicate a few posts to our house and the changes we''ve made to it. Zac and I are both very proud of the work that we've done and excited about the potential our house still has to get even better. Every change we make gives our house a little more personality and makes us more and more excited to call this place home (if that's even possible).


No comments: