Sunday, April 3, 2011

"My Colors Are Blush and Bashful"


I LOVE Steel Magnolias! I've seen that movie at least a million times. I watched it often with my mom when I was little and now it's just a small obsession. :)

I've always told my mom that I would have pink in my wedding and she has always said that it would look like the place was "hosed down with Pepto Bismol". So it should be no surprise that most of the photos in my file folder collection had a little bit of pink in them. I had no intention of having a ceremony and reception drenched in pink but I thought at least a little pink would be nice.

Something like this pink was the shade I was thinking:


 

After Zac and I got engaged I had to start thinking of some other colors to go along with the pink. Obviously, Zac was not too thrilled at the idea of having an all pink wedding and I totally understood. So we looked at a variety of other colors that could go along with the pink and came up with two accent colors.

A light blue:


And yellow:


It was with these colors that we made our first engagement announcements. I used the layout from the announcement to create the labels for the bridesmaid wine bottles :



Before we made copies of the announcements to send out to friends and family I began to rethink the color combination. While the colors worked together, I thought it definitely said "Happy Easter". This was not the tone I wanted to set. (Maybe we'll save these colors for the next baby shower we throw...or for our own baby shower down the line.)

So it was time to start thinking of a new color scheme. Zac and I agreed that keeping the yellow would be a good idea. It was a nice, bright, springtime color. After looking through accent colors we didn't really find a color that we liked to go along with the yellow. Instead we decided to keep yellow as the main color and to add a neutral color to the color scheme to keep it simple. In the end we chose three colors:


I definitely like this color scheme a lot better than the original one. It's still fun and spring-y, but it's a lot more chic than the easter-y colors. So we re-made our announcements with the new color scheme and I was sold! The colors were perfect together.

So the wedding will have pops of yellow and white flowers. Whether or not the bridesmaids will be wearing yellow or gray dresses is still up for debate. 

Gray dresses:



Yellow dresses:


I like the look of both options so the decision will be made when the girls and I go shopping for their dresses.
I also liked this photo where the maid of honor was wearing a different color than the rest of the bridesmaid.


 So we will have to explore our options come dress choosing day to see what best works and what the girls are most comfortable wearing.

No comments: