Saturday, May 11, 2013

Eviction Notice


At 32 weeks Zac and I committed to our birthday guesses for our little man. You can see above, my guess was May 10. As today is May 11th and there is no picture of Zane to be seen, you've probably guessed that 5/10 did not turn out to be his birthday.

I have been having cramps on and off for days. On Thursday night, the cramps started to get a little more intense and a few were sharp and painful. I found it hard to get comfortable enough to go to sleep. I was a little nervous, yet hopeful that this could be it. Eventually I did get to sleep and when I woke up yesterday morning the cramps were gone.

I got up at about 6:30am, finished my blog post for the day, had a bowl of cereal, and did my hair and makeup. When Zac got up we got some cleaning done together. I had planned to get dressed next, but the exhaustion set in. I was far too tired to do much. (Our stairs get me so winded, it's ridiculous.) I ended up laying down and put my feet up until Zac went and got lunch a few hours later. After we finished lunch I was all for a nap! Zac was sweet enough to come and lay down with me for a little bit. Our nap was cut short when the doorbell rang and after our visitor left I was wide awake.

Zac didn't have to be at work last night until 6:00 so we thought that we would get some walking in to see if we could prompt some progress. It was really hot yesterday so we decided to skip a walk around the block or to the park. Instead we ran errands and did laps in air conditioned stores. We picked up a book for Zac at Barnes and Noble (it was what he selected from his Sunday Jar last week), got a few things for Zane's room at HomeGoods, hit up Joann's Fabrics, and picked up some essentials at Target.

By the time we got home the only change in my body that I could sense was a tightness in my hands and feet as they had become swollen from walking and the heat. Zac went to work, I laid down, and Zane stayed put.

We had our 38 week appointment on Tuesday and our doctor seemed to be pleased with my progress. (I was dilated just over 3cm and about 80% effaced.) He seemed confident that I would continue to progress and that we wouldn't make it to our next appointment which is scheduled for May 15th. Still, these things can't be predicted 100%. We knew that it was possible that my progress would come to a stand still if Zane decided to stay put a little longer.


Our doctor told us that if we were to reach 39 weeks (Monday May 13th is our 39 week mark) and didn't want to wait any longer, we could schedule a date for induction. He said that my body had progressed enough that even if we induced I shouldn't have a very long labor. He reassured us that the choice was up to us. We could certainly wait it out and let Zane come on his own time without worrying about inducing labor (unless of course he went over 40 weeks).

My mind was made up before we left the office. I want this little man out! As I am only five feet tall with a small torso, Zane only has so much room. I'm definitely feeling huge these days and would love to start feeling like my normal self again. Zac and I talked about it on the way home and he was thinking the same thing. He pointed out that the longer we let Zane stay in, the bigger he's going to get. Though we don't have an estimate on Zane's current size I feel like he takes up ALL the space in my belly. I'm not looking to give birth to a 9lb baby!


So the decision has been made and Zane has been given an eviction notice! Our little guy has until Monday to show himself or we're coming to get him. If Monday arrives and still no Zane, we'll be calling our doctor's office to see about scheduling a day for induction. We're hoping we don't have to wait longer than Wednesday May 15th to meet our stubborn little guy.

I was really hoping to celebrate my first Mother's Day holding my little one in my arms but it looks like I'll probably still be 9 months (aka BIG belly) pregnant. The heat is supposed to reach 100 degrees tomorrow. Eek! I'll definitely be spending my time indoors with the air conditioning on, perhaps enjoying some mommy mocktails, and praying that my little guy decides to greet us soon.

One thing is certain. This time next week Zane will be here by choice or by force. We'll officially be a family of three!

1 comment:

Manda said...

I LOVE that you tried to say you're 5 feet. Hehe my little hobbit! Muah! Love you, thanks for more tears, good luck tomorrow with the watermelon ;)