Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Zac's First Father's Day



On Sunday, we celebrated Zac's first Father's Day. How adorable are my boys?!


I'm quite fortunate. Not only is Zac an amazing husband, but he's also an incredible daddy. He was so fantastic throughout my whole pregnancy. I am grateful that he was able to make it to every doctor visit, happily took my picture every week to document our growing baby, made sure I had vitamins and plenty of water, took care of my cravings when appropriate and wasn't afraid to deny me cravings when I wanted something super sugary or fatty, and told me I looked beautiful even on days that I felt like a moose and bawled my eyes out. I couldn't have gone through the delivery without him and after we were home, he was the best caregiver in helping me through recovery. Seeing him with Zane is incredible. The love I have for my family is overwhelming. Zac is great with our little guy and I look forward to seeing their relationship grow. Zane is a lucky little boy to have a daddy who will teach him to be handy, to be a gentleman, the importance of hard work, and who will no doubt be a great role model and show him how to be a good husband and daddy.


Our celebration started with a Sunday brunch at home cooked by me. I nursed Zane and then left my boys to sleep in while I got everything ready. I was able to get a trip to the store by myself this week in between feedings. (That was the quickest trip to Target I've EVER had!) I picked up some streamers and balloons to decorate our dining room for the occasion. I also picked up a couple of Father's Day cards. (One from Zane of course.)


I'm not a good cook so I opted to keep the breakfast items simple. I also made a few different things so that Zac could have options. I wasn't above making a quick run to Uncle Harry's if none of my items turned out delicious. (I'm not kidding when I say that I am not a good cook!) So while the boys slept I made turkey bacon, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and waffles. To go along with the waffles I put together a little waffle toppings bar with blueberries, strawberries, banana, honey, cool whip, butter,and peanut butter.


As a gift from me, Zac recieved a bottle of Gentleman Jack as well as a few metal yard stakes that hold drinks. I've come home from work on more than one occasion to find Zac in the backyard laying on the day bed, reading a book, and drinking a beer. I thought it might be nice for him to not worry about spilling his beer in the grass.

Zane's gift was a little more personal. Somehow he managed to get a few wooden letters, set up the camera, and snap these amazingly adorable little pictures of himself to give to his daddy. Okay, so he may have had a little bit of help. I found this cute idea on Pinterest while looking around for Father's Day ideas and knew that this would be the perfect gift for Zac. One afternoon while Zac was at work I got Zane all set in his nursery and snapped a few photos. Unfortunately, those original photos didn't work out. I used my camera to snap them and when they were printed they came out a bit blurry. I wasn't happy with them, so Zane and I had a reshoot. I found a cute white frame at Michael's Craft Store and with a coupon was able to swoop it up for for just over $2! To see Zac's face when he saw the gift, I would have paid $200 for that frame. Zac had tears in his eyes when he spotted the frame on the breakfast table (I didn't have time to wrap it) and insisted that we find a place in the house to put it where he could see it every day.


After breakfast, we headed to the grocery store for some junk food and a few items to complete our dinner menu. Zac's parents brought down some of their Chapman beef a while back and we've slowly been pulling packets of meat from our deep freezer in the garage for meals here and there. For Father's Day Zac thought that it was only appropriate to get his grill on so we were having steaks. We took it easy that afternoon just hanging out at home and taking a little nap. That evening we enjoyed our steak and potato dinner and waited for the sun to go down and the summer air to cool off a bit. When the night was finally cool enough we headed to the backyard to lay on the daybed with some strawberry shortcake dessert and watched a mini marathon of The Office on our iPad. Our backyard is softly lit by paper lanterns that hang from our awning to the trees along the back fence. With the lights and the sound of the water rolling down the fountain into our pond, our backyard is pretty magical. It was the perfect way to end a fantastic day.

No comments: