Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Three Week Update

Our little man is three weeks old today!

Apologies for being MIA this week but as predicted, Zane's third week was exciting and busy. As mentioned before, Zac's sister, Sarah, is expecting baby number two. This past weekend she came into town for her baby shower and Zane finally got to meet his aunt, uncle, and cousin. Zac's parents also arrived for the celebration and had their first chance to meet their new grandson. Zane had four days filled with love, kisses, and lots of attention.


We're glad that Zane finally had the opportunity to meet his Grammie and Papa. Zac's parents live about 8 hours away, so visits can be far between. We've sent pictures and videos their way since Zane was born but it's certainly not the same as seeing one another in person. The two will be headed to Vegas in a few weeks when Sarah gives birth to her new little man. They plan on making a stop at our place for a day or two on their way. It'll be nice to see them again and we're sure that Zane will love some more time with his grandparents. 

This week, Zane has definitely become more expressive. The faces he makes have both Zac and I laughing. Here are just a few that I was able to capture while Zane was waking up from a nap:


Zane's new feeding schedule has kept him satisfied this week and with the amount of diapers that we've been changing, we know that he is definitely getting enough food. While the schedule is great for Zane, it has left this mama exhausted. Yesterday was an "attempt to catch up on sleep" day. Our guests had all left, Zac had outside chores to complete, and I had nowhere that I needed to be except for home with my boys. The entire day consisted of feeding Zane and napping. We no longer set alarms for night time feedings. Instead we're letting Zane let us know when he's hungry. He seems to have picked up on the routine we created because he wakes up around the times that we set alarms anyway. After his final feeding at 11 we head to bed and have two feedings throughout the night before waking up for the day.


Physically, I'm feeling better and better. Unfortunately, I did have an emotional moment last night. The lack of sleep had gotten to me and on top of that, my lazy "catch up on sleep" day had me feeling like a bum. I hadn't gotten dressed all day, I didn't get a chance to shower, and I was beginning to smell like breast milk and spit up. Being that it's only been three weeks, I'm still not in my prepregnancy clothes which has left me feeling huge still. I broke down and cried for about 20 minutes and then laughed. Hormones are crazy! Today I was able to get dressed, do my hair, and even put makeup on. It might be silly, but it totaly made me feel like a human again. I also got a bit of sun since we had a few errands to run. Getting outside throughout the day, I've realized, is super important.

I'm still only down 18lbs since giving birth to Zane but I realize that it took me 9 months to put it all on so I should give myself at least that long to take it all off. Next Wednesday I am scheduled for my 4 week postpartum checkup so we'll see what my doctor has to say about my recovery.

This week, Zac and I plan to take Zane on his first restaurant outting. Sunday brunch sounds like a fun date. We're hoping our little guy is up to it. It's possible that we'll go on a few more walks around the neighborhood and perhaps venture to the park again. The temperature is supposed to get as high as 106 this week, so we'll have to see. If it's too hot, I guess I'll just spend most of my time indoors staring at this beautiful little face.



No comments: