Sunday, April 28, 2013

Baby Chapman... How We Found Out

If you saw yesterday's post then you know our big announcement. Zac and I are expecting our first baby in just a few weeks. Tomorrow I will officially be 37 weeks pregnant. We're in the home stretch and we can't wait to meet our baby.

As it's been a while since I've posted regularly, this information is all news to my blogging buddies so I thought that I would catch you all up on all things baby. First things first: how we found out.

Zac and I had been talking baby long before we were married. While planning our wedding, we were also planning our timeline for baby and we decided that we wanted to start trying right after our honeymoon. It was three months after our wedding that the positive results popped up on the tests. (Yes I took four)


We had a stash of pregnancy tests in our bathroom and from time to time I would take one just to see. On Thursday, September 6 after Zac went to work I decided to take one. I had taken one just a few days before and it was negative so I wasn't really expecting anything. After taking the test and leaving it in our bathroom upstairs, I went downstairs to make myself dinner. To be honest, I had forgotten about it for a little bit. When I finally remembered a few minutes later, I ran upstairs to check it and was blown away when I saw a faint pink line. I've read that leaving tests for longer than 5 minutes can result in a false positive so I didn't take it too seriously. Still, a part of me was hopeful. I decided that I would wait to take another one until first thing the next morning.

Friday morning I woke up early to get ready for work and rushed to the bathroom to take the test before doing anything else. Zac was still blissfully sleeping as I sat on the bathroom floor with wide eyes staring at the very clear pink line on the test.

I decided not to wake Zac. I knew that if I told him right then I would just want to spend the whole rest of the day with him celebrating our amazing news. Unfortunately, that wasn't a possibility as I needed to hurry up and get ready for work. So I rushed out the door without waking him and opted to get another box of tests on my way home....just to be sure. By the time I got home from work that evening, Zac had already gone to work so I was able to take the tests on my own. I got the Clearblue digital ones this time. There was something about seeing the word 'pregnant' that madeit more official...more real.

Now that it had started to settle in, I brainstormed ways to tell Zac about our baby news. That evening I went to dinner with a friend at a restaurant right next to the mall. After our meal and catch up session I headed into Mainland and purchased a pair of baby Toms in gray. Zac and I always have Sundays off together so I thought this would be the perfect time to tell him. I planned on making him a big breakfast and spilling the beans first thing in the morning.

Waiting until Sunday meant that I had to keep this secret for a few days. This was an unbelievably difficult task that had me dodging my poor husband as I was SURE that I would let it slip. Zac worked on Saturday afternoon so I only had to keep the secret for the evening. It was still difficult and I ended up telling him that I was super tired at around 8:00pm and I went to bed.

On Sunday morning I banished Zac to our bedroom and ran downstairs to start breakfast.


On Friday night, after I got home from the mall I had set to work drawing up a fun menu for our Sunday breakfast. I used one of the chalkboard menus that Zad had built for our wedding and wrote out the following: Chateau de Chapman Specials Mommy & Daddy to be Breakfast Baby Chapman arriving May 2013.


I set up the shoes that I purchased just a few days before and the second positive test I had taken in a pastry dish with a dome. I set this in the center of the table next to a vase of flowers.


Once breakfast was all made I put on some music and called Zac down to eat. I am not a cook and making a meal is a rare thing for me so Zac was quite excited that I had prepared something this morning. His already smiling face was priceless once he spotted the pastry dish and the tiny shoes on the table. (He didn't even notice the giant chalkboard until halfway through the meal!) We shared an emotional moment and a tight hug before sitting down to eat and discuss our excitement.


Next came telling our family and friends....

No comments: