Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Let's get the planning ball rolling.....

As soon as the announcement was made that we were engaged, I was hit with questions regarding wedding details. Having been together for 5 and a half years everyone (including myself) assumed that the wedding details would already be planned. No doubt, after 5 years I had ideas for what would make our wedding day special. The only problem was that I had TOO MANY ideas! Yes, I am totally one of those girls who had a file folder on my computer where I saved numerous pictures of every wedding detail from the color scheme to the favors. Over the last few years I've managed to save quite a collection of photos and now that we are officially engaged, the process of sorting through them and choosing only the ideas that will best fit for our big day has become quite a task. Thankfully, Zac and I have been able to set a clear path for the basic theme of our wedding which has made choosing ideas a lot easier. But before I get ahead of myself.....



 The day after Zac and I got engaged, we announced the big news to our friends and extended family. (After we called Zac's parents and went to my parents' house to fill them all in on the good news.) A few days later I met up with some of my girlfriends to catch up and celebrate over cocktails. I had already talked to Amy over the phone and filled her in on all the details, so she unfortunately had to sit through the story telling of the proposal twice more as the girls arrived and asked questions. Thankfully she didn't seem to mind.



That night Amy gave me a gift....my very first wedding magazine. I was so excited, that when I got home that night I immediately started going through its pages, admiring all the photos, and making mental notes of things I found to be particularly awesome.



In addition to the magazine Amy and Scott got Zac and I each an owl shaped coffee mug! I am so in love with them. My small obsession for owls has begun to appear in small doses throughout our house. A silver owl lives on a bookshelf, owl print photos adorn the walls, an amazing pewter owl candlestick can be found on our console table, and come Christmas time a few owls can be spotted hanging from our tree. (One of the ornaments is an amazing white and silver bird that Amy and her mom found at World Market. It goes perfectly with the rest of our Christmas decor.) So needless to say they were a welcome addition to our owl collection. I'm sure there will be a few owls spotted at our wedding.....



A few weeks later, as I was just getting home from school, I noticed a large package on our doorstep. It was addressed to both Zac and I. Together we opened the package to find a wonderful collection of goodies and this note:

Zac and Teeny,
Here's a little wedding planning care package for you. Some wedding mags and post it flags for things you like. Some Skittles to snack on while you work. Glasses for each of you for whatever beverage you desire *cough....wine and beer..cough*. If it gets too stressful light the candles and take a nice long bubble bath.
Enjoy!
-Sarah


How unbelievably sweet is that? The package was such a pleasant surprise! Thank you Sarah!!! I couldn't wait to dive into those magazine and start tagging items that I liked. The post-it notes were such a great, helpful idea.


Along with the magazines that Amy and Sarah have gotten me, I bought the Bridal Bargains Wedding Planner to help me keep track of the many to-do lists I will need to complete. I also put together a 2" binder to keep all of my wedding idea photos, vendor contracts, schedules and due dates, and other wedding related papers in order.

The wedding planning ball has slowly started to roll. It will pick up speed once the spring semester is over and graduation comes around on May 21! After that it's full steam ahead! :)




No comments: